In 2010 I bought my first touch screen phone with unlimited internet. It was facinating and enjoyed the new Wonderfull device.
Years later I down graded my phone to a basic old man’s flip phone. Why did I do this. Let me explain the factors that guide me to this unusual shift.
- It distracted me from the important life moments. For example I constantly looked at the phone instead of looking at my beautiful kids wonderful expressions, I did not pay full attention while my wife was talking.
- It constantly drag my mind from one thing to another. I jumped from one app to another one site to another one mailbox to the next mailbox. It was holding my mind from relaxing completely.
- Constantly looking at the screen gave me a eye strain and mental exhaustion. I felt drained and tired after using it for pretty long time.
- Communication between family members, kids, friends and strangers diminished drastically. We tend to look at our updated phone screen instead of looking at the human being next to us. When I wait for my kids to finish swimming practice, I count the parents who is not engaged with phone. hardly any one spent time communicating to the person next to you ….I think this is a dangerous trend.
- Looks like the phone apps and the internet are influencing and controlling what we do and think. It is alarming that human mind is ruled by these technologies.
- A portal for promoting companies to push add space into your brain and make you spent your hard earned money.
- Saving money. I had two smart phones and paid around 125/month. Dropped one after the contract and bought a prepaid T-mobile flip phone. Now I pay $75/month. Wondering how I spent only 130 for 3 years for my flip phone …. Read my next post about T-Mobile prepaid connection.
- It killed my sleep many days. Using phone while in bed delayed my sleeping time. There are many studies shows that the glare from the the touch screens dose’t promote good sleep.